I wrote this article after experiencing screen resolution issues with my new Toshiba notebook that uses the Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset.
I use an external ViewSonic VX2235wm monitor at home that requires a resolution of 1680 x 1050 to get the full windescreen experience with good colour and crisp text, and was disappointed when my new Toshiba Terca PTM90A did not support this, even with the latest Windows XP drivers installed.
After spending some time searching the web and reviewing many posts, I finally found the fix.
- Download the latest drivers in zip format from Toshiba’s web site. At the time of this posting the build was 22.214.171.12431. Although the drivers from Intel’s web site were a later build (126.96.36.19943), they would not install on the Toshiba 🙁
- Unizip the “display-xp-614104814.zip” file.
- Edit the igxp32.inf found under the “\Display Driver\Graphics” folder as follows:
HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 0
HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 5
HKR,, DTD_5,%REG_BINARY%, 00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 ;Fifth DTD
HKR,, DTD_5,%REG_BINARY%, 79,39,90,40,62,1A,25,40,68,B8,3,00,00,00,00,00,00,1C,37,01 ;Fifth DTD
- Run setup.exe found under the “Display Driver” folder.
- Restart the computer when the installation has completed.
- You will now be able to set the resolution to 1680 x 1050 as per the following screenshot.
The 1680 x 1050 resolution has been available for quite some time now, as I’ve had the ViewSonic monitor for over a year. It’s pretty disappointing that Toshiba have not followed through and addressed this in the current driver set!